Lead was used in paint until 1978. The older your home, the more likely lead paint is present. Lead in paint is a danger to children if the paint is chipping, peeling, cracking or chalking..

What should you know?

  • Look for lead paint (especially around windows, floors and doors) that is chipping, peeling, flaking, that may chip. Knowing how to identify lead paint in your home is crucial.
  • Scraping, burning, sanding or using a heat gun to remove lead paint creates dust which allows lead fumes into the air.


What can
you do?

  • Use paper towels, soap and water to wipe surfaces where paint is chipping weekly.
  • Wash dust and flakes off of hands, toys, bottles, clothes, windows, pacifiers and floors with soap and water. Hand sanitizer does not remove lead.
  • Use a sealant to create a barrier against chipping paint flakes.
  • Leave your shoes at the door to keep lead outside of your home.
  • See a doctor if you’re worried about lead exposure.

What should you NOT do?

  • DO NOT dry scrape, power sand, burn or use a heat gun to remove lead paint.
  • DO NOT dry sweep or vacuum paint chips.

Additional resources:

  • Get tested for lead exposure: Contact your doctor, local WIC Clinic or your city’s Health Department.
  • Well Fed Means Less Lead! See the Get Well Fed page for tips on protecting your family through the use of healthy foods.

What you eat can help protect your family against lead!