What you eat can help protect your family against lead!
Feed your family a healthy, balanced diet that contains good sources of iron, vitamin C and calcium.
- Red Meat
- Iron-fortified Cereals
- Bell Peppers
- Dark, Leafy Greens
- Turnip Greens
- Calcium-fortified Juices
What should you know?
- More lead is absorbed on an empty stomach. Infants and children absorb 5 to 10 times more lead on an empty stomach than adults.
- Exposure to lead is harmful to childhood development and can cause permanent behavioral and learning problems, a lower IQ, slowed growth and hyperactivity.
- Good sources of iron, vitamin C and calcium may lessen the absorption of lead into your body.
What can you do?
- Offer and feed your family regular, healthy meals and snacks to reduce lead absorption.
- Participate in free federal nutrition programs, such as WIC, Summer Meals, Farmers Market Vouchers, FoodShare (SNAP) and many others.
- Wash ALL fruits and vegetables thoroughly with cold water for 1 minute or until all dirt and dust is removed.
- When preparing food, always wash and cook with safe water.